Public Engagement Network
- To encourage Universities to revisit and engage with the wider mission of the University to be involved with Public Engagement
- To celebrate current achievements
- To bring people together with a shared interest
- To identify gaps in Public Engagement/Community Engagement
- To support and strengthen practice in individual’s own areas by sharing experience
- To address research issues in Public Engagement
Questions / issues the Network might address to begin with
- The specific concerns of public engagement and the boundaries and interconnections between public engagement, widening participation and community engagement.
- The impact of Public Engagement and the nature of the research which is needed in this area as a whole.
- The possibilities for taking the University into the community as well as encouraging adults into the University (and perhaps bringing funding streams together to support this).
- The extent to which there might be an international strand for (and scope to use the international agenda to support) Public Engagement.
3 Modus operandi
It is suggested that the group could best proceed by means of face to face meetings a couple of times a year and that it might be best to align its meetings with scheduled UALL activities such as the conference. On that basis, the next meetings could therefore take place at the London meeting in November 2014 and at the conference in Glasgow in March 2015.
Invitations would be circulated to those who attended, or expressed an interest in attending. the Leeds meeting. At each of these network meetings, at least in the initial stages, we would invite presentations drawing on the expertise which exists within the group with the possibility of seminars/ workshops or conference being offered around the theme in the future. Further meetings (as momentum grew) might also be hosted by other members who would take responsibility for organising the meetings at their own institutions.
For further details, or to join this Network, please contact:
University of Bedfordshire
T 01582 743 255