The UALL Networks' conference on recruiting mature students to higher education identified a number of ways that adults could be encouraged to return to study. Following excellent presentations from Fiona Hoban UUK, Katy Morris from Million+ and Tricia King from Birkbeck, participants called for:
- teaching funding to be awarded to universities offering part-time places on high cost subjects
- inclusion of mature students in university performance indicators
- encouragement and support for the provision of Access to HE courses
- recognition of the social as well as the economic benefits of HE
- increased involvement of mature students in shaping provision.
The next step is to implement these aims. Your comments are very welcome and if you would like to be involved or want to put forward any other suggestions, please contact Annette Hayton